Wednesday 7 November 2012


Initial design ideas:

Now I have a decent body of work I decided to make some initial design ideas. By doing this I can see how my work looks when it’s presented as a group and as a design idea, which can help me to determine the path I should take to improve my work, and what sorts of shooting I should do next.

In this design I compiled my favourite pictures from my first five shoots. I think it worked out well because it shows a good range of the sub genres of street photography and the range of tones are similar in all 5 pictures which makes them look natural together. Despite each picture covering an aspect of street, I think that things would work better if the pictures related a bit more in terms of their content. The top row is fine because they are all to do with backstreets, but the bottom two have nothing to do with backstreets, each having their own subject matter. So to improve this design I need to take some more pictures to do with back streets. Preferably they need to be shot from similar angles as the top three so they connect. I like the idea of doing some portrait style pictures because it shows that I can shoot in different formats.
 This is a variation of the first idea; I was undecided in which picture to use so I made both so I could compare them more easily. I was undecided because I really liked the picture of the kids with the carpet but the picture of the backstreet was more relevant.  After looking at both of them I have decided that the picture of the backstreet is almost as good as the kids’ picture individually, so I might as well go for the backstreet one because of the better design relevance.
 This collection works well together because they share the exact same range of tones and they were shot in the same location (Newcastle) apart from the one on the right which was taken in Grange-town  I think this benefits the composition because it obviously makes them relevant to each other but it also tells the story of day to day life the people who live and work in Newcastle and Grange-town  To improve this design I need another picture of day to day life in Newcastle. To increase my chances of getting a good picture I will go when its market day so there are plenty of people.


 This is a variation of my first Newcastle design idea. This time I changed the layout of the design and changed a picture. I decided to add this picture because I think the tones in it are similar to the others and the content is also similar despite it being from Darlington.  Even though it’s from a different area it still works well, so the next time I go up to Newcastle I will take a similar picture to replace it.

 I themed this design around kids because my best images included them; but the same problem keeps coming up, I don’t have enough images to complete an idea. To complete the idea  I won’t have to do anything specific because there will be kids at every location I want to go to for other shoots. Apart from a new picture I should switch the top right picture with the middle the tones balance more.








After reviewing this design I won’t use it because the layout is poor, it’s too long so you have to look at each picture individually so they aren't seen as a group which I don’t want to happen. But this could be a good layout for a different design that uses my best pictures that aren't relevant to each other.



Evaluation of initial designs:
I think I have a good base to work from. I have 3 different designs that have potential and can be improved simply. I would still like to get a few more fresh design ideas. To do this I need to do some more shooting at some new locations and do some fresh research for fresh inspiration.













No comments:

Post a Comment