Thursday 15 November 2012

Evaluation


Evaluation:

When I first read the brief for discipline specific studies and found out that we were to do a module on street photography I had mixed feelings because I knew about some of the photographers in the discipline and what lengths they went to get their pictures, for example Bruce Gilden who walks up to people and puts a camera straight in their face which I could never do, but on the other hand I had never really tried it! I had previously focused on landscape and architectural themes but I was ready for a new challenge.

As I got on with the task I got more confident with my ability with the camera and shooting in the street. To start with I used my Grandad’s camera which at first produced good results, but by film three I noticed that the light was damaging the film and I lost several shoots of film.  I bought myself a second hand Canon 50E body from a shop in Sunderland and I could use my existing lenses with it.  I remember starting my first shoot and thinking, where’s the quietest place in Hartlepool I could start, due to my lack of confidence. Now I am at the end of the module I am quite disappointed it’s over because I was really starting to get into it all.  What the professional photographers were saying started to make sense and I could see pictures coming together as I walked down a street. I think the piece of research which inspired me the most initially was Frank Doorhof’s street photography video. It basically taught me that confidence is everything when it comes to street photography, and in the section where they had a photographic critique I was inspired to experiment with shooting styles which were a revelation that I hope can be seen in my work.

My favourite shoot was the trip to Scarborough because it brought back many good memories of my childhood, but it was strange going there now; things have changed and I am there for a different purpose.  But, it put a smile on my face which made me shoot in a different light, hopefully telling a story in the picture. The most challenging part of the project was getting used to the blogger site. I admit that I am quite inexperienced with technology so I was never going to like it much.  I prefer my photography in a book or something similar because I am a hands on person but I am starting to get to grips with blogging. Printing using the chemicals was the best part of the project because I really enjoyed seeing the picture coming through. I felt as though I was a professional photographer going through the process and got that great sense of pride when the print comes out how it should be.

If I was to do this project again I would have liked to do a lot more shooting because I was starting to really enjoy the style and it would have given me more security and confidence that I had enough to get a really great final set. All in all I think that I have successfully completed the project with a greater understanding of street photography and I can’t wait to come back to it when I have the chance.  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment