Sunday 7 October 2012

Pictures from Newcastle




Newcastle



Before i left for Newcastle i decided to look at the work of Garry Winogrand to gather some ideas on what sorts of thing i would like to shoot. I particularly like the pictures where theres groups of people because they all interact with each other in different ways. This is due to there varying relationships which is what i want to explore.



Contact Sheet



1. Overcrowded behind the focal point so it’s hard to pick it out

2. Poor composition, you can’t see much of the people in the boat

3. Under exposed and you can’t see much of the people on the boat

4. Under exposed and you can’t see much of the people on the boat

5. Difficult to make out any people

6. I should have moved round to look more at her face

7. Good composition showing the trader’s life at his stall

8. Nice range of tones throughout the picture but would need cropping at the top

9. Very similar to No 8 but I don’t like the pole coming down in the middle of the picture

10. Exactly the same as No 9

11. Has a good composition, nice range of tones and shows the interaction between the tradesman and his customers

12. A guy walked in front of the camera so I won’t be using that one

13. I like the composition but it needs to be cropped on the left side.

14. The picture was taken too late so the guy was too far way

15. It looks strange with the woman on her own in the middle of the road without an interesting background

16. Boring composition with no meaning

17. I don’t like this because you can’t see the faces of the people.

18. Exactly the same as No 17

19. I don’t like this because there’s little in the bottom of the picture

20. I won’t use this because I didn’t want the car to the guys left to be there because it draws you way from him

21. I won’t use this because you don’t connect with the people within the picture because you can barely make anyone out

22. I like this picture because it makes you think; which is what street photography is about. However I would increase the contrast of the tones because it looks a bit flat

23. I won’t use this because there’s someone entering the frame which distracts you from the guy on the phone

24. To improve this I would need to move round to the left to get more of the guy’s body, instead of the post box

25. I don’t like this one because the angle of the road is wrong. It should be horizontal

26. I won’t use this one because you seem very distant to the person in the centre of the picture

27. I like this one because it looks better in landscape format. However I will have to brighten it and increase the contrast

28. Poor composition, you can’t see their faces and there isn’t a wide enough range of tones

29. For these next three images I tried to frame the car perfectly in the centre of the image so I obviously won’t use No. 1 and 3. However even though its central, I won’t use No 2 because I prefer No. 27

30. I have taken a picture like this before but I prefer No. 27 because It has more of those black spots in it and it was taken from closer in so there will be more detail in it.

Favourites



This was one of my favourites because I like how the people stand out from the background which I tried to encourage by using the contrasting filters on the enlarger during that stage. I think that helps to put across their relationship which seemed to be strong from the brief seconds I looked at them. When I look at this picture, I am reminded of picture by Garry Winogrand where there are two people on a boat who seem to be cut off from the rest of the boat. I think my picture gives  a similar message because there is nothing else in the picture, and there wasn’t anyone else around when I took the picture.
 
I like this one because the busses frame the photo almost equally, also there a vast range of tones throughout which balances it. When I took this photo I wanted to highlight the contrasting relationship in the photo. The two guys on the crossing island seemed to be good mates, chatting casually, about their IT course perhaps. On the other hand there are the people closes to me  stood in silence not even acknowledging each other.


This one it my favourite because I like how the gazebo frames the picture, everything is well exposed and the large aperture works really well, making you only look at the people and the stall.  



No comments:

Post a Comment